Verb Patterns Lesson Two: Verb + Gerund
Lesson one is going to look at lots of different verbs that take the infinitive. Remember, the tense of the first verb isn’t important.
The following verbs all use this pattern: enjoy, admit, consider, keep, miss, can’t help, mind, avoid, deny, mention, recommend, risk.
- I enjoyed seeing them yesterday.
- We don’t enjoy going there.
- He finally admitted taking drugs.
- I’m considering starting a new business.
- He’s considering moving abroad to get away from his problems.
- We can’t keep doing this.
- I keep missing the train in the morning.
- I miss walking around the city centre.
- She misses seeing her friends every day.
- I couldn’t help laughing when she fell over.
- He can’t help being so rude.
- I don’t mind washing up.
- I’d avoid going there on vacation, I think it’s still quite dangerous.
- I avoided seeing her as I was embarrassed.
- He denied saying those bad things.
- He mentioned seeing them at the club.
- I recommend visiting the new museum.
- I don’t recommend going there.
- I wouldn’t risk taking the later flight, you might not arrive on time.
The following is a conversation using the verbs + gerund format (this conversation follows from lesson one):
(Beth is now in Switzerland and she is speaking to david on the phone..)
David: I’m considering coming to visit you soon.
Beth: That’s great. I miss having our conversations every day. I keep thinking about that time we avoided going to that boring meeting because of that excuse you made up.
David: I couldn’t help laughing because our boss had no idea.
Beth: Yeah. Well, I recommend taking the morning flight instead of the afternoon one as you don’t want to risk arriving too late for the weekend.
David: Good idea. I don’t mind getting up early anyway and I enjoy travelling in the mornings.
Use the correct form of the correct verb in the following: enjoy, mind, recommend, avoid, deny, miss, can’t help, risk
1. I would definitely __________ going to see the new museum if you go to Madrid.
2. He __________ doing those terrible things.
3. They __________ living in Rome.
4. It was bad, but I __________ laughing when she fell over.
5. He __________ losing everything at the casino last week.
6. I don’t __________ washing up if you don’t want to do it.
7. I used to _________ reading books, but I don’t anymore.
8. She _________ taking that awful exam because she was ill.
4. couldn’t help