Look at these four questions:
- What is your best friend like?
- What does your best friend look like?
- What does your best friend like doing?
- Does your best friend look like anyone famous?
The following video explains the difference between these four questions. Change the settings to HD and please press the thumbs up!
Let’s take at the four questions that were used in the video.
What’s your best friend like?
This question is concerned with the personality and character of your best friend. The answer to this should concentrate on describing your friend in terms of personality. Here are some examples:
- He’s really nice, I think you’ll like him.
- She’s a little crazy; she has lots of energy and says exactly what she means.
You can also talk about appearances in this answer, but this is usually done after talking about the personality.
What does your best friend look like?
This question is all about the appearance of your best friend. Here are some examples:
- He’s tall, has long, brown hair, and is quite good looking.
- She’s very beautiful.
What does your best friend like doing?
This question is about your best friend’s interests, hobbies, and activities they like doing.
- He really likes sports and spends most of his time outdoors.
- She’s a bit of a party animal. She goes out every night!
Does your best friend look like anyone famous?
This is the only question where we use the word “like” in the answer. To look like someone means that you have a similar physical appearance as them.
Here are some example answers to this question:
- He looks like Bill Clinton.
- She looks exactly like Selena Gomez.
In this exercise I have given different answers. What you need to do is answer with the correct question:
A kid goes up to a policeman and says, “I’ve lost my dad”.
The policeman asks, “what’s he like?”
The boy answers, “beer and women”
What is your best friend like? Leave your answers below.